Remember Why You Started

Exercising is hard. It's hard to find time in my day. It's hard to be motivated. I don't particularly like doing any solo exercising, like running, but trying to fit in a class, or find enough people to play a sport is harder and harder as we all become more busy with our parenting schedules. 

I happen to have a friend that is really dedicated to exercising. Her social media posts are inspiring, her habits are enviable. (Not to mention her workout gear is totally on point, you know who you are!). She posted this quote recently:



It really hit me in the feels. I know it was about getting in a workout. But it was something I needed. When things are hard, remember why you started. 

Being an educator is important, and it is important EVERY. DAY. Sometimes its grueling, with demands coming from every which way. Sometimes it is thankless. Often making a decision that is right is not always one that is politic or popular. Sometimes I make mistakes, sometimes I have to excuse mistakes that are made. A lot of days are hard. So when the days are hard, I need to remember why I started.

Almost 15 years ago, I started as teacher because I had a passion for science, and once I was in college, specifically earth science. I had some amazing professors that were passionate about geology, meteorology, oceanography, and astronomy, and it was contaigious. I wanted to spread that passion to others because WHO DOESN'T want to know that July 4th is the day we are actually FARTHEST from the sun in our orbit. (Mind blown, right?)

Guess what? Eighth graders don't think that's the coolest thing they heard all day. Some of them don't even care. This was a little heartbreaking, I have to admit. But I'm not a quitter. So I figured out how to get them to care, even if it was just a little bit. That's when I realized being a good educator isn't about knowing the most content (and this was slightly upsetting, since I always prided myself on knowing a bunch of stuff). You have to know your content AND know your kids AND figure out how to connect what they like to what you want them to know. It's an art. It's hard, but it's worth it. 

Then I started as a principal because I wanted to change the world. I realize its not "me" that is going to change the actual world by my personal works. I want to be a catalyst for the teachers and students I come in contact with, so they can change the world. I want to give my teachers the appropriate opportunities and resources to develop our students. I want our students to have the opportunities and resources to go out into the world and be servant leaders. Be ambitious and creative and change the world. Solve problems! Serve others! Make this world a better place than it was when you entered it! 

Changing the world turns out to be difficult (who knew!) and many decisions are hard to make. I needed to remember why I started. I need to be prayerful-- "ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." I need to put all the daily tasks into perspective and keep on keepin' on. 

So, friend, thanks for your unintentional educational inspiration. Who knows, maybe I will even get a workout in this week.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commencement Speech 2023

School Start Eve

How do you measure a school year