What do you want to be when you grow up?

I had a great conversation with a few students recently and I wanted to share. 

We talked about ACT scores and what college I went to and if I always wanted to be a teacher and principal. I said no. I was pre-med. 

What made you change?

I shadowed a few doctors my freshman year of college. They were cynical. “Too many malpractice lawsuits” “Too many student loans.” “You’ll start your family too late.”

I loved science. I became a science teacher. 

Do you regret that?

I paused. Do I? Is a flippant conversation making me rethink my life choices?

Financially, I might have picked something different. But the answer of “what do you want to do when you grow up?” I knew the answer definitely. 

I want to change the world. 

Ugh. Now what. I’m a 40 year old principal. How can I change the world? 

One student at a time. 

I started explaining that being an educator is like being a parent. There are a lot of things that are hard work, and you don’t feel like you’re appreciated. But every once in a while you know you have made a difference in someone’s life. Over the years I have had thousands of students and everything that they accomplish, I like to think in some small way I was able to contribute to their success. 

I am a super Hamilton fan, and if you love the musical, you’ll know the line Eliza Hamilton says, “I help to raise hundreds of children. I get to see them growing up.”  That’s the job of an educator. Helping to raise children. 

At Kennedy, that’s through high standards of academics and behavior, through faith and love. 

In my 18 years as an educator I have helped to raise hundred of children. Through the magic of social media, I get to see them growing up. I am so proud of their accomplishments. And if even one small thing I taught they can carry with them...well I’ve changed the world. And that’s worth more than any other profession could have given me. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Commencement Speech 2023

School Start Eve

How do you measure a school year